“Marketing in the News”

When taking a look on Market Dive, my eyes immediately were drawn to the article “Tinder enlists ‘Mean Girls’ actor to help users dodge toxicity”. Mean Girls is one of my favorite movies! I have watched it too many times to count. The actor Jonathan Bennett who plays Aaron Samuels is the main character's crush in the show. The article shows a unique marketing approach to the iconic line “What day is it?” (said by Aaron) with response “October 3rd”. But has a different spin on the meaning of this day. 


October 3rd is also World Romance Scam Prevention Day, who knew! The article then goes into detail about love bombers, money seekers, and postures. Explaining what kind of people to avoid when on dating apps. The Value Proposition of Tinder’s was intended for people to create positive new connections through a user-friendly platform. Jonathan speaks about the ways not to use their app. 

The timing of this article couldn’t have been better.  Even though Mean Girls came out in 2004, it is still very popular to this day. Almost 2 decades later! I see memes on social media every year asking “what day is it”? I think Tinder did a very good job taking advantage of this day. 

There have also been rumors of a Mean Girls Reunion movie that would come out in 2024. But one thing we know to expect for 2024 is the Mean Girls Musical, which will not have the original four plastic actors. Yet, it will be based on the movie! This shows that Tinder is a step ahead of the game. 


Tinder is known for having a bad wrap for dating websites due to today's hook up culture. 

I think that this ad was a good example of showing transparency. They are precisely stating what not to do on their app to insure their why of creating the app. Their approach to getting rid of this stigma was done in a funny way with an actor that their target audience would recognize. 


I believe that this was a great ad for Tinder, they talked about how to behave accordingly on their app in a funny approach. With picking a very good movie their target audience would understand and appreciate it. Their word choice was also amazing. I wouldn’t change anything about this advertisement. From this assignment I learned to look deeper into advertisements and try to look at them through a marketing lens. I think more about details in ads and ways some could improve and others I appreciate the small details they thought of.


https://www.marketingdive.com/news/tinder-mean-girls-meme-jonathan-bennett-dating-app-marketing/695640/








Before I thoroughly read through the instructions of this assignment I got a little excited and jumped right in. I choose a video ad off TikTik and not an article. But since I already wrote this… I want to share what I found! 



As I was scrolling through TikTok, I was hit with an advertisement involving Travis Kelce. Travis Kelce is a two time winner of the super bowl and plays tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs. If you weren’t aware, this is also Taylor Swift's new boyfriend. Who has caused Taylors fanbase known as “Swifties” to go berserk. These pop music fans are now tuning in to the Chiefs football games just to possibly see her. If you’ve ever watched a football game, you know they rarely show the audience and just focus on the game. The toll Taylor has on her fans is quite amazing. According to Forbes Magazine “[It’s] reported a 400% increase in Kelce's jersey sales which put him in the top 5 players in the NFL”. Personally I think I can see into the future, and can predict some Swifites halloween costume plans. But I’m not here to talk about halloween costumes, I’d like to focus on the impact these two hold on our nation.


The Ad I referred to with Travis Kelce was an Ad for Pfizer COVID-19. In this advertisement Travis talks about how you can get your flu shot and your covid-19 vaccine at the same time. Then for the rest of the 30 second ad, Travis shows many examples of doing two things at once. These examples are not realistic but quite entertaining. Such as mowing the lawn and grillin, bench pressing a reporter and practicing football in a formal restaurant. Then the ad ends in Travis showing off two bandaids indicating getting vaccinated. 


This Ad stuck with me, I don’t know if it was because of his charming smile or the funny skits he performed. But it was remarkable. And I’m not a huge fan of the Chiefs, or a crazy Swiftie. But I can see the impact this 30 second ad could have on those people. Especially the younger generation who believes they don’t necessarily need to be vaccinated, and think it's only needed for older generations. This ad shows Pfizer trying to reach a new audience to gain sales. Not once in the ad did it go over anything informational about the vaccine. It simply was the most hyped football player this season repeating “two things at once!”. 


Pfizer’s marketing team not only scored in my opinion the most popular football player this season. Which brings in his fanbase, and also his new girlfriend's. Pfizer couldn’t have picked a better time to post this ad. 




https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2023/10/02/travis-kelce-promotes-flu-covid-19-shots-pfizer/71033013007/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma Hawkins

Social Listening